If you are struggling to make your monthly payments – mortgage, property taxes, homeowner’s insurance, utilities, internet and more – due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) has a program to help.
According to MSHDA, “The Homeowner Assistance Fund was established under section 3206 of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (the ARP) to mitigate hardships associated with the coronavirus pandemic by providing funds to prevent homeowner mortgage delinquencies, defaults, foreclosure, loss of utilities or home energy services and displacements of homeowners experiencing financial hardship on or after January 21, 2020 or for those homeowners who experience a coronavirus pandemic financial hardship that began before January 21, 2020 but continued after that date.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury notified MSHDA on April 14, 2021, that it will allocate $242,812,277 to the State of Michigan. This number was based on unemployed individuals and the number of mortgagors with delinquent mortgage payments.”
MSHDA opened the program to the public on February 14, 2022.
Who is eligible?
- Homeowners with household incomes less than 150% of Area Median Income (AMI)
- Homeowners who own and occupy the property as their primary residence
- Homeowners must have and explain a financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020.
Up to $25,000 Grant Per Household to Pay:
- Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages
- Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments or mobile home park lot payments
- Delinquent property taxes
- Delinquent condominium/homeowners’ association fees
- Delinquent homeowner’s insurance,
- Delinquent utilities, gas, electric, water, sewer
- Delinquent internet broadband services
For more information and to apply, click here. Due to backlog, it may take 6 – 8 weeks to review your application. If you have questions about the program, please call Customer Service 844-756-4423 or email MSHDA-HO-HAF-Program@michigan.gov.